- Water Source
- Montreal River
- Gogebic County, 14 miles northwest of Ironwood
- 45 foot drop, with rapids upstream - about 75 foot total
- Take Wisconsin highway 122 north from US-2 about 11 miles
west of Ironwood and go about 4.5 miles to a bridge
across the Montreal River. Cross the bridge (you are now
back in Michigan) and turn left onto the second gravel
road. Follow it to a power station, and park your car
there. There is a sign to a view of the falls to the
- Follow the short path to the left to view the falls,
which is across the river and drops and then flows out to
- Other Information
- After viewing the falls from the bluff by the power
station, I followed a trail to the right of the power
station which led to a trail (more like a road) marked
"Access to Montreal River/Lake Suerior" down
the hill to Lake Superior. I went down to the lake, and
spoke with a fisherman who showed me a trail along the
left bank of the river, behind the power station
building, and into a basin just across the river from the
falls. The photo above is from that basin.
- Note: As I was driving from Superior Falls, just before
the Wisconsin border, I saw a black bear cross the road.
I didn't have time to get my camera out for a photo :-( ,
but I did take a picture of a wooden bear, which looked
like the bear I saw, at a shop farther down the road.
Here's a picture of that wooden bear:
- Other Photo
- Here's a photo
of Superior Falls from the top of the bluff to the left
of the power station.
Return to Waterfalls in Gogebic County
Page last updated 28 Dec 2000.
Email comments to dmmaki@MichelesWorld.net